Monday, August 23, 2010

My domestic weekend


I seem to have found a bit of an energy boost from somewhere. Maybe the regular exercise last week helped? Anyway, I found myself getting all domestic over the weekend. I made jam. I made homemade baked beans in the slowcooker. I made a batch of lemonade scones to go with the jam. I made homemade laundry powder (more to come on that one!) and I made one of my childhood favourites, date cake. I think I have altered the recipe over the years, because I was sure the recipe came from the Bundaberg branch CWA cookbook, but when I looked in there yesterday, it was vastly different from how I have been making it.

Oh well, this is now my version,

Selina's Date Cake.

preheat oven to 180c (or 160c for fan forced)

2 cups SR flour
250 gram bag of dried dates, chopped
1 1/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup raw sugar (I have always used raw sugar in my baking unless caster sugar is called for)
3 tbs butter
1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda

Put chopped dates, boiling water, sugar, bicarb and butter into bowl, mix and let sit.
Allow to cool.
Add flour and mix until combined.
Pour into prepared loaf tin and bake for 45 to 55 mins.
Enjoy warm with lashings of butter.

Let me know if you give it a try!

Also, have you signed up for my Stocking Swap yet? Go here for all the details. I'd love for you to join in!

4 comments:

Kylie said...

Yum! This looks fantastic Selina. I made Kirsty's banana bread and that's going down a treat ;) Must have been some baking thing in the air on the weekend, the kids and I were pouring over recipes too... good to see someone actually makes things and not merely looks in books like me! :) Kx

teddybearswednesday said...

Yummo, I like a nice date cake/loaf myself, more more than sticky date pudding which I find too rich.
thanks for sharing
xo

CurlyPops said...

Those exercise endorphins must be working a treat!

Val - Apple Cottage said...

Selina, I made your Date Cake this morning and guess what - absolutely YUM. I can see I'll have to add this one to my recipe favourites. Thankyou so much for sharing the recipe.