Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The left over yolks


"The Week of CurlyPops" day 4.


While making the macaroons I was feeling guilty about tipping the yolks down the sink so I decided to keep them for something else. Inspired by this lovely lady's mandarin curd post I decided some lemon curd was in order. I had seen somewhere a recipe calling for extra yolks in the curd, but then couldn't find it again, so I just thought I'd wing it.

I pretty much followed this recipe here, but altered a couple of things. I used 3 whole eggs and 2 yolks (after I tipped the first yolk down the sink I had my brainwave!) and I grated the lemon zest instead of peeling and I didn't blitz it in the food processor, I just strained the curd at the end. I also added about an extra 1/2 cup of sugar. And let me tell you, it's delicious! I love lemon curd slathered all over my toast, and that's how it was eaten this morning. You can see we already got stuck right into it yesterday, that jar was full to the brim!

4 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Mmmmm yummo!
My sister made cupcakes last week and put a dollop of lemon curd in the centre while filling the patty pans. When you eat them, you get the delicious sweet curd in the middle.
I've actually never tried it on toast - must put it on my to do list.

blandina said...

This sounds delicious, it is something that we do not have here in Italy. Do you know if lemon curd can be made with margarine, please? I have a dairy intollerance...

Selina said...

I think it could be made with margarine. Maybe put in a bit more quantity than the butter. I think as long as you cook it until it coats the back of a spoon, it should be right. I would be interested to hear if it works.

Mookah Studio said...

Oh I do love a good lemon curd....or a lemon cupcake, or a lemon tart, or a lemon pudding, or....

Anyway, thanks will have to give it a wizz!