Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Blogtober the 5th

IMGP3353

Well, I hope that I left you all salivating yesterday, waiting with bated breath for my homemade baked beans recipe. So here it is.

Selina's Baked Beans.

ingredients:
1 ham hock (or ham bone, sometimes this can be cheaper, or you can use your leftover one after Christmas)
water
3 tins of beans (butter beans, cannellini beans etc)
1 tin of crushed tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion
dijon mustard, a good tablespoon
maple syrup, a big slurp
worcestershire sauce, 2 big splashes

note: Initially I used to make this using dried beans, and soaking them overnight, but I have found using the tinned ones to be quicker and actually much tastier. The dried beans are definitely cheaper though, I would recommend if you use dried beans you boil them after the overnight soaking.

Take your hock, pop it in a pot and cover it with water. Boil your hock for about an hour (if you were using dried beans, pop them in too). Take out your hock and reserve the liquid. Let your hock cool slightly before removing and discarding the skin and fat, cut off the meat and chop well. Fry off your chopped onion and garlic and add about a cup of the hock water to boil off the bits at the bottom of the pot. Then add this, your hock meat and all the other ingredients into your slow cooker. Cook on medium for around 4 or 5 hours. If after 4 hours it's looking a little watery you can remove the lid and increase the temp to high, that should get it thickened up. Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!

Please let me know if you make this recipe, I would love to hear what you think.

2 comments:

Liesl said...

I love a good slow cooker recipe and this one sounds really yummy. I will definitely be trying it out!

Vande Historic Costuming said...

The kitchen should be on line by the weekend - and I have to admit you had me by Maple Syrup!!!! Might give this one a go (before salad season takes over completely.....)