Monday, October 10, 2011

Blogtober the 10th

For quite some time now I have been feeling decidedly un-creative. My love and passion for vintage chenille just didn't feel the same anymore. When we moved house 3 months ago and I had to pack all that chenille up, it felt as though it was weighing me down, I felt burdened by it. Something you are passionate about should never feel like a burden. I thought that if I sold off a fair chunk of it that it wouldn't all feel so oppressing. But that didn't really work either. I even briefly toyed with the idea of selling the lot. I have a custom order sitting here for quilt, pillowcases and euro pillowcases and I have known about it since before the move. Yes, over 3 months ago (let me tell you, this is the most patient client ever). I have made excuse after excuse to procrastinate on this thing as I just wasn't feeling the love anymore. When all my excuses had been used up, I knew I had to get started.

IMGP3367

So, I started slowly. I thought I'd put together the pillowcases first and just chug along from there, all the time thinking, this is it, this will be the last chenille quilt I ever make. I finished the first euro pillowcase and sat back and looked at it. And the love came back. Just like that. How could I ever even think it had left! So I'll finish this order off, and it won't be my last. There may not be one for awhile, but at least I know, my chenille love is still there, it was just hibernating.

IMGP3368

I didn't make that smaller cushion, it is pretty though isn't it?

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

So pleased the love has returned... I was getting a bit worried there for a while!

Melody said...

A very beautiful cushion indeed.

Jess said...

looks great selina, well done!

Unknown said...

My love for what I do comes and goes sometimes - in my experience, I think it's natural, especially with a serious passion, for it just to overload you sometimes. I used to stress about this (feeling like I'm not a real artist etc!) but it always comes back. It's part of the swings and roundabouts of being a creative soul!

The cushion is gorgeous! Can't wait to see more!

Cherie said...

It's only a phase ... don't dare get rid of that chenille. I've got truckloads of it that I adore ... yep I go thropugh the old it has to go then ... NEXT!!! Your cushion is gorgeous!!!

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

It really is gorgeous. And all those neutrals just pop on the chocolate couch, well done and welcome back!

Joolz said...

Gorgeous chenille in that cushion! So pleased your passion has come back!

Vande Historic Costuming said...

Perhaps it was the move that brought on the doldrums... glad to see the passion returning! So pretty and fresh!

Sophie Slim said...

You are so talented! this cushion is beautiful! :)

bubbachenille said...

Pick me pick me if you ever lose your passion again, I will help you get over it !

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Wow, I imagine that might have been quite scary on some levels. I go through periods where I don't paint much. Been in a big slump for a while now. I know that it will pass but it always scares the shit out of me when it's happening.