Saturday, February 27, 2010

China's story.

Thank you so much for all your condolences on the loss of my dog, China. When I was growing up I always wanted a dog, but Mum wasn't a dog person so I could never have one. Out on my own we (my then boyfriend, my now husband) decided to get a dog. The first dog we had was a bit of an escape artist so we decided to get another dog to keep him company. He never really belonged to anyone, but he was more my husbands dog than mine. We wanted a female dog and knew it just had to be a Staffy. We found a litter of all white Staffies, and although I didn't think I wanted an all white dog, I thought it was worth a look. We walked in to see these seven little white staffy pups and I almost squealed with delight at the sight of them. I crouched down to take a better look and they crowded around yapping and tails wagging. There was one that caught my eye. She was so unbelievably white, little porcelain like tummy, just like fine bone China. She tugged on the drawstring hanging from my shorts and seemed to pull me towards the door. I was smitten. Of course I had to have her. When she cried in the night, whimpering for her mother, I would sneak downstairs like a child and bring her back into bed with me. Snuggled up beside me she would sleep contentedly, nuzzled against my heart. She was once again nuzzled against my heart when she went from this world and I hope that brought her some peace, just like on those first nights away from her mother and siblings. I miss you girl, there will never be another one like you, ever.

6 comments:

Gina said...

Oh, that brings a tear to my eye. How terribly sad to lose your precious puppy after all these years. I'm glad you could be there with her.

I still get a lump in my throat when I think about losing the family dog when I was 16 - half a lifetime ago!!

crzylady said...

We are sorry. I don't know if the pain gets easier, but I think it gets Less constant in time.

Unknown said...

Oh I am so sorry ! It's heartbreaking you poor thing , take care .

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

Oh Lovey! poor you, my heart is hurting for you... tears well up just thinking about my dog dying, I hope I can be with him when he does... its such a huge loss... your first nights with China sound just like mine with my dog. Poor you.

Car said...

:(

RIP China

Thinking of you Selina, I'm glad you were able to be with her at the end.

xxx

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

I really understand your loss, We had a cat called Jake and he was 18 when he went, as well as two dogs, both were cross breads, but beautiful, Puds was 15 and Joe was 17. we lost them all within a year of each other, they were all very close and the pack being split. 3 years later we have two cats, both rescue animals both 2 years old. Time does help in you being able to look at pictures and remembering the good times, Hang in there...