Saturday, January 14, 2012

Filmlife Blogger Challenge


When I read over on Cam's blog about the filmlife blogger challenge I initially wanted to join in, then changed my mind, then decided to jump in anyway. If you don't know already, the filmlife project and blogger challenge is a collaboration with Donate Life Week 2012 aiming to encourage and inspire young people to really think about, and discuss with their loved ones their thoughts and wishes on organ donation.

This is an issue close to my heart. For those new here or don't know already, I have cystic fibrosis. And one day in the not too distant future I will need a double lung transplant in order to save my life. The way my liver is going I will probably need one of those while they're at it!

Before I get to the three questions posed for the filmlife blogger challenge, I would like to share a little something. Until today I was not a registered organ donor. Shocked? I wasn't. I was actually under the impression that having a chronic illness meant I couldn't be a donor. Turns out I was wrong. In preparing for this blog post I was doing a little reading on the net and came across this page on the DonateLife website busting those myths and misconceptions people have about organ donation. I guess my point is that anyone can be ill-informed about these sorts of issues. For someone who is fairly knowledgeable about medical procedures and issues, who has seen first hand the impact a second chance at life in receiving donated organs and will someday herself need donated organs be unaware of certain facts, anyone can. It's not too late to educate yourself or admit you may be a little ignorant to the truth. Knowledge is power.

Now, onto those questions!
1. What’s your take on or experience with organ donation, and why did you choose to take part in the FilmLife Blogger Challenge?

Basically, I will need a double lung transplant one day in order to save my life. I have seen the impact this ultimate gift has on peoples lives as well as having seen friends and even a family member receive their donated organs and live wonderful second chance lives. I feel that the more people that can open up about their experience with these issues, the more people will be able to benefit.

2. If you were to donate your organs, which one would you love to donate, and why?
(nb. this question is intentionally quirky so feel free to be creative and have some fun with it)

I'm going to have to say corneas for this one. I have always loved my eyes and they are one of the few things in my body that work 100%! I did experience a weird side effect from some post surgery ketamine once where my vision went all hazy, it was the worst feeling, even worse than the pain from the surgery! I would love to think of someone seeing again through my eyes.

3. Who in your family would you need to talk to about organ donation, to be sure your loved ones knew your wishes?

Clearly tonight I'm going to have to have that discussion with my husband and 14 year old daughter. Their wishes have always been made clear, now I realise I can in fact donate as well, I will need to express this to them. Around the dinner table is where everything gets discussed in this house!

If you would like to join in with this challenge put together the three questions and answers and head over to CurlyPops' blog and join in the linky!

To register yourself on the organ donation register here in Australia, go here.

4 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Thanks so much for joining in and for sharing your story Selina. It really means a lot to me to get the message out there, and to make sure that everyone is discussing it with their families.

Jennie said...

I think its awful that family can decide after we have gone - what happens to our organs - they can say no if they want! I didn't know this till recently.

Great post Selina - we have talked about this alot and know each others wishes.XXX

Sally said...

So glad that you can donate too. It is so cool how you can learn something every day isn't it?

Sarah Allen said...

What a post - Selina I am part of the FilmLife team and learnt something reading about your research. It's amazing that you were able to change your donation status as a result of that, and tell so many more people through your blog. Thank you for taking up the blog challenge and we wish you the best with your lungs and getting a new pair to give you new life. Sarah Allen