Thursday, March 25, 2010

my creative space...


I had a rather debilitating case of E.I.T.T.T.S on Tuesday. One of my brilliant plans came about because I couldn't be stuffed leaving the house. I wanted to dye some chenille orange for a little something I wanted to make so I thought "why not use food colouring!!" ingenious...or not! After leaving the chenille in this beautiful pot of food colouring for over an hour it had turned the most gorgeous shade of orange. When I then proceeded to rinse, it all came out. Every last trace. Seems (after some googling of what the heck did I do wrong??!) that cotton doesn't hold food colouring. Hmmm.


Plan B on Wednesday. Off to buy some dye. This time it worked. Mmmm, delicious orange chenille. Come back tomorrow on Bunny Friday to see what I did with it.*

*Although I'm sure regular readers of this blog may already have an idea.

More creative spaces over here.

13 comments:

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

so annoying when the plan in your head doesn't work out!

Chasing Purple Dreams said...

I’m glad you got it all sorted. It must have been so disappointing that the food colouring didn’t stick; it looked like a stunning colour. I think I know what you are up too and it will be mighty cute!

crzylady said...

arg. food dye. evil. EXCEPT when used in the tub. We only buy food dye for A's baths.. which is lovely because it dilutes enough to not dye her skin and she's learning how to mix colors :)

But love the color.. also, I dyed a white dress once hoping to cover some odd grease spot on a breast... only made the grease spot that much more noticeable! But with a lovely shawl all was well again.

CurlyPops said...

Ooooh chenille carrots! How cool.

Anonymous said...

ooooh such a GORGEOUS orange worth the hassle in the end I'm sure as it's beautiful

Val - Apple Cottage said...

Oooops - must say I would have thought it was a good idea too if I'd thought of using food colouring. Your orange chenille has ended up looking gorgeous though - eventually.

Kirsty said...

It seems your virus is a virulent one ;)

The orange you've ended up with is great.

teddybearswednesday said...

what an amazing colour orange that is! I'm so glad you got there Selina xo

bec said...

Grteat colour (finally!) I lurve to dye chenille, as you know! I picked up a red double bedspread today at Savers for $12.99 (plus 15%) off. Haven't had one that cheap for a while!

MooBear Designs said...

That's a pretty awesome orange!! I love your work Hun!!

xo Steph

Christina Lowry said...

Ooh cool! Was it very difficult? I would love to dye yarn one day. :)

bubbachenille said...

Did you end up with orange hands ? Remember when I did the dark blu dyeing ? You dont get colours like that on ebay ! Awesome work! Wanna share?

Trudi - Me and Ewe said...

You ended up with a great colour - I love orange.